2S-LGBTQ+ Senior’s Program Coordinator
Réseau ACCESS Network is a non-profit, community-based charitable organization, committed to promoting wellness, harm and risk reduction and education. Réseau ACCESS Network supports individuals – and serves the whole community – in a comprehensive / holistic approach to HIV/AIDS, Hep C, Harm Reduction and related health issues.
In collaboration with “sister” programs in Barrie and Nipissing Districts, the position will address increased isolation of 2S-LGBTQ+ seniors (55+) and provide opportunities for education and supports on issues relevant to population. The incumbent will develop health promotion workshops and social activities for 2S-LGBTQ seniors in a manner that promotes empowerment on a variety of engaging topics.
The position is responsible for the following:
- Aims to support and empower those who identify as 2SLGBTQ seniors (55+).
- Work with community partners to build and maintain strong capacity to respond to needs of 2SLGBTQ seniors and increase access to health and social services.
- Presents information and acts as a resource on issues of sexuality, sexual orientation and gender identity as it relates to 2SLGBTQ seniors.
The successful candidate:
- Formal education in a relevant field of study (social science, health promotion, social work, adult education)
- Experience working with seniors, 2SLGBTQ people or within health promotion field
- Experience working with issues of sexuality, gender identity, and mental health
- Understanding of health and social issues and factors relevant to 2SLGBTQ seniors
- Strong leadership and project management skills (organized and carry through to completion)
- Demonstrated commitment to community development, engagement, and accountability practices
- Superior communication skills, including written and verbal presentation skills, diplomatic and effective liaison and interpersonal skills.
- Will be required to provide a current criminal record check
Bilingual (French/English) candidates or those of Indigenous descent will be given priority consideration for this position if found qualified.
The position is fulltime based on program funding ending on September 27th, 2024 (with possibility of renewal).
Réseau ACCESS Network is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to build an inclusive workforce that reflects the rich diversity of the community in which we live. To this end, we encourage applications from persons living with HIV/HCV, members of Two-Sprit, Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender communities, individuals from First Nations, Inuit, and Métis communities, members of diverse ethno-cultural communities, and persons with dis/abilities.
Competitive salary and benefits
The full job descriptions are located on the Réseau ACCESS Network Website at www.reseauaccessnetwork.com. Interested applicants are asked to submit a resume with a cover letter by the closing date of April 17, 2022, to Heidi Eisenhauer, Executive Director email@example.com
We regret that only those candidates selected for an interview may be contacted. No phone calls please.
SENIORS’ PROGRAM COORDINATOR (Staff) (1.00 fte)
REPORT AND ACCOUNTABLE TO: Manager of Programs and Services
- Aims to support and empower those who identify as 2S-LGBTQ+ seniors (55+), and to promote healthy relations.
- Works with designated local communities to build and maintain strong capacity to respond to needs of 2S-LGBTQ+ seniors.
- Increase access to health and social services and increase number of community partnerships for 2S-LGBTQ+ seniors.
- Act as a resource on issues of sexuality, homophobia, biphobia, transphobia, racism, sexual orientation and gender identity as it relates to 2S-LGBTQ+ seniors.
Education and Support
- Provide a safe environment to express concerns about sexual orientation, assist in increasing self-esteem and decrease internalized homophobia among 2SLGBTQ seniors (scheduled drop-in opportunities).
- Provide development training to 2S-LGBTQ seniors on issues of peer support and peer education to increase knowledge and ability to support one another.
- Create an empowering environment that celebrates the diversity and visibility of 2S-LGBTQ seniors.
- Develop health promotion workshops and social activities for 2S-LGBTQ seniors in a manner that promotes empowerment on a variety of engaging topics.
- Provide client support, advocacy as necessary.
- Be familiar with appropriate community resources to facilitate client referrals.
- Is responsible for assuring existing educational materials specific to 2S-LGBTQ seniors is made available.
- Acts as a liaison between Réseau ACCESS Network and local community organizations, committees and other 2S-LGBTQ seniors’ programs in advancing health initiatives and building supportive environments.
- Establishes, facilitates, and maintains collaborative partnership opportunities with local community organizations and groups that provide service to seniors, including those developing similar programming in North Bay and Simcoe County, in order to promote health and access for clients.
- Participates in local community planning initiatives related to seniors and promotes integration of 2S-LGBTQ into programs, services and policies-procedures.
- Presents information to community partners on issues of 2S-LGBTQ seniors.
- Work collaboratively with the Agency’s Safer Spaces program and with Indigenous-serving partner agencies to address barriers to service for 2S-LGBTQ seniors in Sudbury and Manitoulin Districts.
- In consultation with the Executive Director and when appropriate, act as spokesperson to media requests on issues of 2SLGBTQ seniors.
- Develops and maintains internet communications and Social media platforms (website, twitter, YouTube, Facebook, etc.,) on issues of 2S-LGBTQ seniors.
- Represents Réseau ACCESS Network at public meetings and committees and directs partnership relationship strategies to advance the mission of the organization.
- Liaise with program coordinators in the training of volunteers and new staff.
- Ensure that all necessary reports are completed and submitted to the appropriate sources.
- Ensure that files are secure, confidential and have all necessary backups.
- Work with the Manager of Programs and Services to develop annual work plan.
- Recommend program changes to the Manager of Programs and Services.
- Assist and implement with the evaluation of all program activities.
- Meet regularly with the Manager of Programs and Services to keep them fully informed on program developments, problems and activities.
- Assist in the development and implementation of policies and procedures set out by the Board of Directors of Réseau ACCESS Network.
- Assist with the regular upkeep of Réseau ACCESS Network offices.
- Participate in staff meetings and other staff sharing opportunities.
- Provide input to organizational reviews.
- In consultation with the Manager of Programs and Services, arrange for knowledge transfer to staff and contribute to the overall day to day running of the agency.
- Supervise program specific volunteers and placement students.
Responsibilities to: Manager of Programs and Services
- Compile and submit activity reports and pertinent statistics as requested by the Manager of Programs and Services and/or funders.
- Consult and update the Manager of Programs and Services on all issues pertaining to 2S-LGBTQ seniors’ Program.
- Assist in fundraising projects and/or other duties as deemed important and appropriate by the Executive Director and mutually agreed upon.
- Formal education in a relevant field of study (social science, health promotion, social work, adult education or any related fields) and/or the equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- At least one-year experience working with seniors, 2S-LGBTQ people, or within the health promotion field.
- Sound knowledge and experience working with issues of sexuality, gender identity, mental health and sexual minorities.
- An understanding of health and social issues and factors relevant to 2S-LGBTQ seniors.
- Strong leadership and project management skills (organize, identify needs and carry through to completion).
- Demonstrated commitment to community development, engagement, and accountability practices.
- Experience supervising volunteers.
- Ability to work independently and on a flexible schedule.
- Excellent computer skills
- Commitment to social justice, diversity, equity, and anti-oppression principles.
- Superior communication skills, including written and verbal presentation skills, diplomatic and effective liaison and interpersonal skills including proficient in English
- Valid driver’s license with regular access to a vehicle for work related duties is required.
- Bilingual (French/English) candidates will be given priority consideration for this position if found qualified.
- Strong group facilitation skills.
- Strong interviewing and assessment skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Self-directed and able to take initiative.
- Good organizational and administrative skills.
- Ability to work as a team member.
- Comfortable working with people of all backgrounds (ie., sexual orientation, substance use).
- Ability to speak openly and frankly about sexuality in a supportive, non-judgmental manner.
- The Seniors’ Program Coordinator is responsible to the Manager of Programs and Services.
- Physical requirements include the dexterity to reach, stand, squat, twist, lift light loads, and the ability to do sedentary work.
- Must be flexible to work evenings and weekends.
- Must be able to work in a variety of settings.
- 35-hour work week, overtime compensated by time off in lieu.
- Access to a vehicle and valid driver’s license.
Developed: October 2019
Reviewed: January 2022
LIENS – HIV | HEP C – LINKS
Drug & Alcohol 1.800.565.8603
Mental Health 1.866.531.2600